Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Red-Headed Woodpecker in Devens

I found this striking adult Red-headed Woodpecker this afternoon during my lunch break. I first noticed it as it as it flew overhead. I had to run back to my car since I usually don't bring my camera along with me and luckily it was still there when I got back. The location is Birch Circle in Devens, which is a great area for birding. It's a series of paved streets in an old overgrown army neighborhood. Ideal for tick-free birding! Brown Thrashers, Eastern Towhees, Prairie Warblers, Field Sparrows and Indigo Buntings are breeders and are found everywhere in here. Park at the dirt pull off on Grant Road. The woodpecker was seen  not too far in from there. I should also note that there were good numbers of Northern Flickers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Hairy Woodpeckers, and both nuthatches in the same area.







 Pine Warblers like this young one were out in numbers also today.
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment